Steak has to be at once one of the most delicious things you can cook on a grill, and one of the hardest to do well. However, with a Kamado, some of the guesswork is taken out as you can easily monitor the temperature of your grill. An internal meat thermometer is a good idea so that you can be sure that it gets to the right temperature inside. Below, you’ll find a guide for cooking the perfect steak at whatever rarity you prefer.
These cook times are meant for a 1 inch thick steak, with your grill kept between 400 and 500°F.
- Cool red center (around 75% red)
- Grill for 6 minutes, then flip for an additional 3-4 minutes
- Warm red center (around 50% red)
- Grill for 6 minutes, then flip for an additional 4-5 minutes
- Rosy pink center (around 25% red)
- Grill for 7 minutes, then flip for an additional 5-6 minutes
- Slightly pink center (tiny strip of red)
- Grill for 8 minutes, then flip for an additional 6-7 minutes
- Brown center
- Grill for 9 minutes, then flip for an additional 7-8 minutes